Spyder has always been a leader in alpine ski jackets so its no surprise that their Leader GTX ski jacket has been a perennial bestseller. Coming in a variety of distinctive Spyder colour block designs, the Leader jacket is available for men and junior boys. We've analyzed what makes this jacket stand out from the rest and here are the results.
The Leader is a synthetic insulated jacket which means in wetter conditions it really stands out as being the warmest jacket available. PRIMALOFT® SILVER ECO INSULATION (100G) is among the warmest weights of this material and the comparable amount of down needed to match the warmth rating would be super expensive and high maintenance. The distribution of insulation also allows the jacket to have a more streamlined fit without compromising warmth.
The biggest asset this jacket has is it's Goretex shell.
1. It’s a membrane. The GORE-TEX membrane is at the heart of all GORE-TEX products. Due to its’ microporous structure it has some amazing characteristics.
2. It’s a laminate. A GORE-TEX laminate is created by bonding the GORE-TEX membrane between
high-performance lining and outer textiles.
3. It’s a product technology. GORE-TEX product technologies offer unique solutions for specific activities and climate conditions to fit your individual needs.
Spyder has pulled out all the stops when it comes to making sure the Leader is ready for ultimate wind and extreme weather resistance. There are minimal seams on the jacket and those seams are backed with heat sealed tape. All zippers are YKK Watertight preventing any wetness from getting in. There are also wrist gaiters as added material between your glove and the jacket.
We recommend you build a layering system in conjunction with the Leader jacket, especially if you are out for extended periods in wetter conditions.
Fit and Features
If you're looking for a jacket with a classic fit, not too bulky on the outside and still manages to have all the bells and whistles, then the Leader jacket is definitely for you!
1. Removable helmet compatible hood
2. Mesh padding at the shoulders for comfort and mobility
3. Secure data card pocket
4. Interior stretch panels
5. Chest and hand pockets, internal zipper pocket, mesh goggle pocket with lens wipe
6. Adjustable cuffs with interior stretch cuff and thumbholes, adjustable hem, and removable powder skirt
The Leader jacket is definitely on the higher end both in quality and price point, however you are definitely getting a solid jacket that is aligned with its competitors. Not overpriced but not a bargain either due to its large amount of features. It definitely is an investment piece that is suitable for those who will be hitting the slopes frequently and in wetter conditions. Durability also makes it worth while to spend money on this jacket and in return have a product that will last for a long time.
In conclusion, the Spyder Leader jacket is an excellent choice for those who want an insulated jacket for wet conditions that will hold up in terms of warmth and weather resistance. It removes the fuss of having to build a multi layering system under a shell and provides all the details one would want in a high end ski jacket.